Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

You reap what you sow

I was babysitting two little boys yesterday, a two year-old and a five year-old. In their backyard they have a deer-feeder filled with corn. Out of habit, one of them will knock some corn out of the feeder and wait for the deer to come. ( It's really funny to watch, though you can't help but share in their disappointment for a lack of action.)

Yesterday, after a minute or two of waiting, the older boy picked up a kernel and begin to put it in his mouth.

"I don't think you want to eat that, it's hard enough to break your teeth." I cautioned him.

"How do you make it into popcorn?" he asked, his present occupation forgotten due to his curiosity. I proceeded to explain that you could either pop it in oil or place it microwave. He paused for a moment, as if to think about what I had said, and then solemnly leaned down and dug a whole in the ground.

After burying the kernel in the already saturated ground, he skipped over to the faucet and filled a bucket which was necessary for his "thirsty plant." When he finished he smiled at me triumphantly. "Now I can grow some pop-corn."


I know that there must me some moral in this tale, but I don't really feel like figuring it out. Right now I'm having allot of fun thinking that microwaves are really useless inventions after-all. What we really ought to do is plant deer corn.

1 comment:

Michael Au-Mullaney said...

Oh wow...Katie and I definitely did that when we were little. The fact that no "popcorn tree" grew was disappointing. :P