Blog Archive

Saturday, June 6, 2009

I like who I hope to become

Sometimes I don't like myself. I don't just mean the fact that I'm sinful or human, but who I am as a person. Girls are supposed to be lady-like and feminine, gentle and graceful, quiet and sweet. I'm loud and clumsy, energetic and bold. I tend to tell people exactly what I think. How much of myself should I change to accommodate others? Is it selfish of me to "be myself"? or would it be wrong of me to change?

We were created with personalities. We are meant to be unique. I've been given talents and strengths that I'm supposed to use. To ignore that would be shunning God's gifts. But I also have weaknesses and inadequacies. What am I supposed to do with those? Can bossiness be transformed into leadership? Is there a way to channel the part of me that annoys others into a blessing for the people around me? Perhaps I don't want to change who I am so much as what I do.

I've been thinking alot on the word grace lately, and I've come to the realization that grace isn't just about forgiveness for the things you have done wrong, its the strength to keep from messing up in the first place. This discovery hasn't made me like myself more, but it has helped me learn to like the person I may become.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, My power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

No comments: