Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Who I was on Febuary 2nd 2011

Oh! The irony of how many things have changed-and of how many have remained the same.

Who Am I?
 
What defines me? If I were an ant, you would know it by my six legs, abdominal separations, and size. If I were a song, you might distinguish my melody, rhythm, and lyrics. If I were an idea you would discuss my founders, my meaning, and my implications. I am none of these, and external characteristics don’t define my being. Nevertheless, since description is our common language, I will not explain who I am, but rather what I enjoy. Perhaps my depiction of the latter will give you insight to the former.
 
My favorite films are “Sophie Scholl: The Final Days”, “Inception”, and “Titanic”. The first is a foreign movie that tells the true story of Sophie Scholl, a member of the White Rose which was a pacifistic student resistance against the Third Reich. “Inception” is an imaginative film with amazing characters, complexity, and depth. I love “Titanic” because I’m a softy at heart, and Jack Dawson is my hero.
 
I’ve read many books, but my favorites are To Kill a Mockingbird, The Little Prince, Anne of Green Gables, and The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I also love Emma and Oscar Wilde’s play “The Importance of Being Ernest”. I enjoy most anything Dickens wrote, fancy Twain, and find Shakespeare tolerable. If you have to read a “classic”, pick Ivanhoe. If they say it’s not a classic, stand your ground.
 
Poetry is my delight, and my taste is as varied as the art itself. I love Tennyson in small doses, The Brook is the most enchanting of his works. His insistence on rhyme (like Longfellow’s) occasionally annoys me. Despite this irritant, I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day is most beloved. For a long time Walt Whitman was my favorite poet, Miracles reflected the world the way I saw it. Emerson and Dickens and e.e. Cummings are often lovely. Rossetti seems to play with poems-and the world around her. I find her work inspirational. Muriel Rukeyser wrote a piece titled Ballad of Orange and Grape. If I ever wrote a poem that told truth so bluntly I think I would end my career there. My work would be accomplished. For fun, Scott’s Lochinvar and Service’s The Cremation of Sam McGee are two of my favorite stories. Stevenson, Milne, and Frost hold sentimental value; I memorized many of their poems growing up. As for individual poems, some of my favorites include This is Just to Say (Williams), In Flanders Field (McCrae), and The Highway Man (Noyes). I really (really) dislike Poe. (Did I mention that I hate his poetry with a passion?), and I’m not fond of Carol either, though reciting the Jabberwocky is fun.
 
I want to frame who I am at this moment, so that when I leave home and change I can have a memory of how I used to be. My favorite color changes daily. Today it’s white, usually it’s blue, but orange and purple often come into play. I adore certain shades of green, and red is a classic. I love dark chocolate, dried fruit, ice-cream, and peanut butter crackers. My favorite candy bar is probably Heath; my favorite cookie is either peanut butter or oatmeal raisin. I enjoy salad and love fruit, but neither fills me up. I tend to stay away from meat and dairy products- I would live off bread, butter, and fruit if I was allowed to. I don’t drink anything but water and occasionally hot lemon, cinnamon, or mint tea. Caffeine has a bad effect on me. My favorite thing to wear is my grey knit dress and my scarf that looks like a Persian sunset. My favorite song is “Desert Song”, my favorite hymn is “Christ Alone”. I like Jars of Clay, Coldplay, Owl City, and some U2. I want the colors at my wedding to be white, orange, and deep blue. The only flowers I want are wildflowers. I don’t know where I want to go to college, but I’m trusting God will provide an answer. I’m eighteen years and 26 days old today. Next week, I’m going to ride on a train!
 
I spend most of my time at work or school. This year I’m taking French III, Calculus, World Religions, World Affairs, Great Books, Government, Economics, and Botany. I coach the speech and debate club, and compete in impromptu, apologetics, extemporaneous, duo interpretation, Parliamentary debate, and Lincoln Douglas debate. I work in the nursery at First Baptist Church on Sunday mornings and Friday nights. I babysit for the Wells (Emily 3, Ashlyn 4 months) 10 hours a week and have since before Ashlyn was born.. They’re very sweet and intelligent; it’s one of the best jobs I could have.
 
Right now I ought to be writing an essay for a scholarship application, or taking a math test, or studying Botany or French. Instead I’m writing whatever comes to mind and it’s deliciously freeing. I’m listening to geography songs (I’m on Southern Europe) and laying in my bed. I have been procrastinating on my homework for approximately five hours, and I really need to get started. I’ve pretty much emptied my brain here- omitting of course my relationship with God, but I wrote out my testimony yesterday. Here are some of my characteristics today. It’s not organized or comprehensive, but I think that relates who I am more than any descriptive could. Au Avour!

2 comments:

Daughter of the King said...

This was started as a personal essay for a scholarship competition, but as you can see, I got detracted starting around the first line.
~Renee

P.S. Yes,it's egotistical to publish that much about your self and expect people to read it. I for one however find old journal entries entertaining.

Art said...

You write very clearly (not just understandably, but like your eyes and voice are clear) and I enjoyed learning more about you.

This was written on my birthday. :)