Blog Archive

Friday, June 3, 2011

Truth is {NOT} just what I believe

The vast majority of people I've met that say "truth is relative" don't actually mean it. Instead, what they are trying to say is that religion and morality are not a matters of truth but of preference.

Of course Christianity is a prime counter-example. The whole premise of Christianity is based upon facts. You can believe or deny the resurrection of Christ, but to say that it a matter of taste is ludicrous. Assuming that Jesus Christ was a real person who lived and died 2,000 years ago, he either did rise from the dead, or he did not. Furthermore, Christianity is not unique in this aspect. Every religion I've encountered so far is contingent on matters of fact.

That morality is a matter of truth is slightly more difficult to prove. It requires me to make three enormous assumptions. The first is that there is a god*. The second is that the nature of this god is consistent. The third is that Good is the equivalent of the nature of this god, and Evil it's antithesis. From this we can draw the conclusion that a "right action" is one that aligns itself with Good, or the nature of god. A "wrong action" is one that opposes the nature of God, or aligns itself with Evil. Working under the assumption that the nature of this God is consistent, a right action will always be a right action, and a wrong action will always be a wrong action. This is not to say that killing (as a common example) would always be right, or always be wrong, for that assumes that all killing is essentially the same action. A cold-blooded murderer however commits a completely different action (at least on an internal level) than the man who is defending his family. What it does mean is that Good and Evil are not matters of personal preference or choice, but rather absolute external standards to which we either do or do not comply.

The end point of this post is very simple. You may tell me that what I believe* is false, and we will have an honest, heart-to- heart discussion. But please, do not tell me that what I believe is merely, "right for me". If it is a matter of truth, I am either right or wrong.

*I say god, not God, for the simple reason that these attributes alone are not enough distinguish this being as the Christian God.

** I do not believe that strawberries are the best fruit, I prefer them to all other types.

Critiques?

1 comment:

L.E. Fiore said...

Amen. Sounds good to me.